Saturday, September 4, 2010

I had a lot of fun at the Downtown Art Walk last night with my friend Stephen from band class. There were so many creative artists and unique works of art everywhere down the street. Thanks to Stephen's uncle, we were able to explore most of the public art galleries around the crowded neighborhood. He specifically introduced us to a few artists that he was familiar with, so that was most definitely the best part of the night. Just the idea of being exposed to new art cultures and artists really makes me feel complete. Out of the few visited spots, I think my favorite ones would have to be the Kaleid Gallery and ICA. I liked the Kaleid Gallery because it had more of a urban touch to it and the environment didn't feel too pristine. It felt free. My favorite paintings in there were probably Lacey Bryant's, which you could see two similar phenomenal paintings of hers that I posted two posts below this post.

I also happen to think that the title Growing Apart is a suitable title for Lacey Bryant's two paintings because I guess I can kind of see what she is trying to convey in her message. Then again, I really don't know what the real hidden message is. What I think is that here's this kid who is slowly branching out to the world and trying to adapt new cultures and beliefs. Though still inheriting the same body, he isn't quite the same person he used to be and now he has to grow apart from his old ideas and beliefs. But he's having a hard time trying to accept the new him because the replicate of him is so different from the original him. So at the same time, the branches that are trying to grow out cannot fully spread out freely because the new him is still partly connected to the old him internally and externally, physically, and mentally.

However, I am certainly not positive because I didn't get a chance to meet her yesterday night since she was in the middle of a conversation with a man in a pink shirt for a period of time. Though if I ever get a chance to see her again, I will definitely not hesitate to ask because I am eager to find out the actual meaning of her paintings in person.

As for the ICA, I liked it a lot because the whole Build Your Own World theme really fascinated me. Because I am a huge fan of places with interactive works, I had a really good time checking out the hands-on activities.

Everything felt so surreal last night. I think I just found some of my new favorite places.

3 comments:

Richard James Arredondo said...

No worries Jane, you'll get another opportunity to talk to Lacey, she is always at KALEID. You should go to their next Two Buck Tuesday. They are really interesting.

jane-willy said...

Sounds like fun! Thanks!

Richard James Arredondo said...

They are the 3rd Tuesday of every month, you can check their site for more info.