Monday, September 6, 2010

in the midst of getting to Emerald City: the Land of Oz

I just finished watching this 1939 classic film for Sociology this afternoon. Technically we got to the middle of the film on Friday, but since I had the movie on my bookshelf for awhile, I decided to watch it and finish the worksheet on my own. Mr. Cava was right on how all of the Sociology terms that we learned about were portrayed in the film.

At this point, I'd like to thank my Grandpa for giving this DVD to me anyway, even though it was one of his favorites back in the days. I remember him telling me that I wouldn't enjoy the movie and that I would be too scared to watch it from the start. In that part, my grandpa was correct because I used to always hide behind something or somewhere when the movie played on television. I actually did finish the entire movie once when I was little though, but that was it. I was never able to remember what the whole movie was about because the nasty and despicable Wicked Witch of the West always scared me too much to have me thinking about the movie again. But now, watching the Wizard of Oz again allowed me to do more insightful thinking this time around. Who would have guessed that I would need to pull out this movie again after countless years of ignoring the presence of it?  I sure wouldn't have.

So thank you Gramps. As a result, in the words of my good friend Tiffany, "TV does teach!"

Have a happy day of working everybody.

No comments: