Monday, April 5, 2010

Tonight I finished a successful read of 371 pages. This book was definitely worth my time even though it started out a bit rocky.

It's actually about a boy named Amir who lived with his dad in Kabul, Afghanistan for a period of time until things began to change. There, they had a very loyal servant, named Ali, who also had a  naturally kind boy named Hassan. Hassan and Amir often went on numerous adventures together as children. The only problem was that Hassan was a Hazara, which was the opposite of what Amir was in his cultures. So Hassan was often beaten up and made fun of due to his physical features and background religions.

Due to some mistakes that Amir let slide by in the past, the friendship that the two had built eventually became a haunted memory. As time passed by, the two separated and lived their own lives in different surroundings. After many years of settling in America, Amir decides to revisit Kabul, and he sees that many things have changed in his homeland, including the new secrets and truths that are revealed about Hassan and Afghanistan itself. Overall, this was definitely a good read for an English 3 class.

I even read the after pages with the discussion questions after I finished the book. Now I feel like I must read A Thousand Splendid Suns some time soon. (I am not crazy.)
-Jane 

No comments: