Friday, July 9, 2010

Part 6, Day 6: Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Pizza Hut, Elks, Gift Shops

On Tuesday morning, we waited at the T. I. bench around the corner at 5:15 am, which was 40 minutes earlier than what was written on the paper. My family likes to be early birds, as you can see. When the motor coach came, we had danish, coffee, and juice for breakfast and thus hit the rode after an hour of driving. On the way, we stopped by the Hoover Dam to get some quick snapshots within the 15 minute time frame we were allowed to be out.

I am so glad that we got to sit on the top floor of the double-decker bus. The viewpoints were much more breath-taking from above. We also passed by Lake Mead and saw how large of a lake it was. The second stop was by this little Indian Village where some ladies were selling colorful dream catchers and jewelry. By lunch time, we had freshly grilled hamburgers and hot dogs at Pizza Hut by Grand Canyon IMAX Theatre. Though many people were inside enjoying the 35 minute IMAX movie, the rest of us saw elks. That's right, we saw elks. They were huge and adorable!

I didn't come across any evil rattlesnakes or forest squirrels though. But maybe it's because the wildlife wasn't prepared for a Tuesday afternoon. The Grand Canyon IMAX movie giftshop was pretty big itself and there were so many souvenirs to choose from that I didn't choose any of them in the end. I took a few pictures of the things that I liked though. As you can see, Fool's Gold caught my attention. That's exactly what my friend Kevin Lai would buy. I also liked the jewelry tree. I'm thinking about bringing some uniquely shaped branches home and paint over them, so I could hang my necklaces, bracelets, and headbands on it like the one in the picture. But we will see, because I still like my red branched tree from IKEA a lot.

No comments: