Monday, September 28, 2009

Queen Elizabeth I

Wow, this is surely one of those grand portraits of Elizabeth I. So I am posting about her because I am currently reading about the Religious Wars in Europe. Elizabeth I was the daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, who became the Queen of Ireland and England. So the term politique supposedly meant someone who was more concerned about unifying the nation and country rather than focusing on just religion itself. The chapter mentioned about how William the Orange, Henry of Navarre, and Elizabeth I were all politiques.

I thought she was quite interesting because she was one who didn't want to have a husband during the time of her reign. She rejected Philip II twice and became well known ruling for nearly half the century. I also thought she was worth mentioning because she was one of those women who stayed a virgin for her entire life. She was remembered as The Virgin Queen. In other words, what an independent woman.

-picture from here

No comments: